Wednesday, September 28, 2011

Breakfast for Dinner Part Duex

Alright well where do I even begin? 
I do not cook. I am mostly interested in the good stuff, you know... cupcakes, cookies, brownies, cakes... you get the picture.
Don't get me wrong, I can do the basics, NOTHING fancy or gourmet.  I am totally intimidated by that word- gourmet.
So you will understand my apprehension in joining the club. When Cassaundra first told me I was going to be her partner she was totally understanding. She kinda knew what she was getting into with this partnership. She even likened her asking me to join, unto me "asking her to join a basketball, or volleyball rec league."
I love it.
But I did it because it is fun to try new things, and put yourself in situations you are not comfortable in because that's how we grow...right? 
And let's be real. Cassaundra is my bestie and really, I would do anything she asked me to. I love her (and her babies) and I knew that even if I didn't learn a damn thing, we would have a blast. 
So the first meal we did together. I totally dropped the ball. Pretty much Cassaundra did the whole thing and I still feel bad about it. (the meal was in February people!) Everything she did in that meal was amazing and it was all delish. 
So with our second meal and the addition of Kate (whom I also love) I knew this one was going to be way good. AND a chance for redemption.
So like she said, this thing almost didn't happen. I am not creative. I just thought that a breakfast for dinner would be fun and unexpected. 
So we met at the beach one day, let the crazies run free, and went over recipe ideas. And what you saw in Cassaundra's post was the finished product. 
I did the Creme Brulee French Toast with an Orange Butter Glaze, and made the jam for the pop tarts. I also did the Mimosas.  
So here are the recipes. They are pretty basic (just how I like it haha)

Creme Brulee French Toast

ingredients:
1 stick unsalted butter
1 cup packed brown sugar
2 T corn syrup
1 large french bread loaf
5  large eggs
1 1/2 cups of half and half
1 t Grand Marnier
1 t vanilla
1/4 t salt

prep:
in a small heavy saucepan melt butter with brown sugar and corn syrup over moderate heat, stirring, until smooth. 
 pour into a 13- by 9- by 2-inch baking dish. 
Cut six 1-inch thick slices from center portion of bread. 
Arrange bread slices in one layer in baking dish, squeezing them slightly to fit.
In a bowl whisk together eggs, half-and-half, vanilla, Grand Marnier, and salt until combined well. 
Pour evenly over bread. Chill bread mixture, covered, at least 8 hours and up to 1 day.
Preheat oven to 350° F. and bring bread to room temperature.
Bake bread mixture, uncovered, in middle of oven until puffed and edges are pale golden, 35 to 40 minutes.
Serve hot French toast immediately.

So a couple of things I did DIFFERENT than the original recipe:
It says to cut off the crusts, I leave them on. It keeps the structure and make sit easier to serve. 
I didn't add the Grand Marnier
I added fresh squeezed orange juice to the egg mixture. About a cup.
And just a side note, I made one batch with EXTRA brown sugar mix. And I loved it. Kind of a general rule in our household, extra sauce, crumble, syrup etc never hurt anyone.
Oh and one more thing. Make sure to serve immediately. If it sits the brown sugar mix hardens and it's not as yummy.
Ok really, last thing. When dishing, flip the piece over so that the brown sugar mix side, is now the top.

Orange Butter Glaze

ingredients: (you better like butta)
2 sticks unsalted butter
1 cup granulated sugar
1 cup freshly squeezed orange juice
1/2 lemon, juiced
1 teaspoon orange zest
1 big splash orange-flavored liqueur (recommended: Grand Marnier)
prep:
Combine the butter, sugar, citrus juices, and zest to a small saucepan and cook for about 10 minutes until it caramelizes. 
It should be a golden color.
 Remove from heat, add the Grand Marnier, return to the heat and continue to whisk and reduce until syrupy-about 10 minutes. 
I didn't add  the liqueur in this either.
And in the interest of full disclosure. I had extra from that night and totally was searching for things to drizzle this over.
And by drizzle I mean drench.
Buttermilk Eggos? Check. Delish.
Slice of an Entenmann's All Butter Loaf with a scoop of vanilla ice cream? Check. Oh. My. Gosh.

Mimosas
These were virgin mimosas. The real ones you would substitute champagne for the sparkling water.

ingredients:
fresh squeezed orange juice
sparkling or tonic water
lime

prep: 
there really isn't an exact measurement for this. It really is preference. 
add the sparkling water to the fresh squeezed OJ
squeeze in some lime

Raspberry Italian Plum Jam

Melt together 1 raspberry fruit roll up and 1 plum fruit roll up
and serve.
JUST KIDDING
But that's how sweet this jam is. Like candy. 
The recipe is hiding from me right now but I will post it when I find it.

I didn't take pics, and let's be honest, if I did they wouldn't be a pretty as Cassaundra's. 
It was a super fun evening with great company. Love seeing all of you guys every month. Love you ladies.

p.s. Cassaundra is joining my volleyball team next month.

1 comment:

The Zeediks said...

LOVE hearing from you Em! Thank you for a wonderful meal! i LOVED all of it! YOU are a great cook!